Free and Reduced Meals Program
Image from Flickr by MCQuinn

Children need healthy meals to learn. The School District of Poynette offers healthy meals every school day. Families may qualify for free meals or reduced price meals for their children. Applications are available from our District Office. Following is information for applying for such programs.

Who Qualifies for Free Meals?
Children in households that receive FoodShare, FDPIR or W-2 cash benefits and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also your children may receive free meal prices if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Who Qualifies for Reduced Priced Meals?
Your children may receive reduced priced meals if your family household income is within the reduced priced limits on the Federal Income Chart.

Our family receives WIC benefits, will my children qualify for free meals?
Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced priced meals. Complete an application to find out which program your family may qualify.

Public Schools Only: Can homeless, runaway and migrant children receive free meals?
Please contact the District Administrative Offices at 608-635-4347 to see if your children qualify, if you have not been informed that they will receive free meals.

May I apply for this program if someone in my household is not a US Citizen?
Yes, you or your children do not have to be a US citizen to qualify for this program.

Do I need to fill out an application or each child?
No. Complete the application to apply for free/reduced priced meals for all students in your household. Incomplete applications will not be approved, so please ensure to complete all requested information. You may be requested to provide written proof of the information you provide on your application. Return the completed form to our District Administrative Office, P.O. Box 10, Poynette, WI 53955.

Who should I include as members of my household?
You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives or friends) You must include yourself and all children that live with you.

We are in the Military, do we include our housing allowance as income?
If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. All other allowances must be included in your gross income.

What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount that you normally earn. For example, if you normally receive $1000 each month but you missed some work last month and only received $900, list your income as $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime pay, include it, but not if you only earn overtime pay sometimes.

If our family doesn't qualify for the programs, may we apply later?
Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size increases, income decreases or if your family starts on the following programs: FoodShare, FDPIR or W-2 cash benefits or other benefits. If you lose your job your family may also qualify for free/reduced lunch pricing.

What if we disagree with the district's decision about my application?
Contact our District Administrative Offices at 608-635-4347. You may also request a hearing by calling or writing to Matthew Shappell, District Administrator, P.O. Box 10, Poynette, WI 53955.

Additional questions regarding these programs, qualifications and the application materials can obtained from our District Administrative Offices Staff at 608-635-4347.

Free/Reduced Meals Application

16-17 Free and Reduced Meals Application
16-17 Free and Reduced Meals Application (Spanish)

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 


Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:


(1)       Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;


(2)       Fax: (202) 690-7442; or


(3)       Email:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

  • School District of Poynette
  • 108 N Cleveland Street, Poynette, WI 53955
  • Phone: 608-635-4347 | Fax: 608-635-9200
  • Email