The Basic Steps of Love & Logic
Rule #1: Adults set firm limits in loving ways without anger, lecture, or threats.
Rule #2: When a child causes a problem, the adult hands it back in loving ways.
Top Five Steps:
1. In a loving way, the adult holds the child accountable for solving his/her problems in a way that does not make a problem for others.
2. Children are offered choices with limits.
3. Adults use enforceable statements (for example: “Feel free to watch tv after your homework is finished.”)
4. Adults provide delayed/extended consequences.
5. The adult makes sure to show empathy before and during the delivery of consequences.